Tuesday, August 10, 2010

On Like Donkey Kong



Arrived in Georgetown yesterday.  The flight was alright, not too shabby.  My bags are stupidly heavy, I am not an expert packer.  Hopefully I'll learn from lugging these bags around.

There are 15 total volunteers here 4 dudes and 11 girls.  They're all pretty nice, math and science people.We're doing a lot of self-evaluating right now, thinking about our expectations, how we think teaching should work, etc.  I think its designed to help us put the techniques we'll be learning in the coming
weeks in perspective, but I'm a little anxious to start working on my teaching skills.

Slept fine (a little sweaty) last night, but woke up with a bunch of  mosquitoes inside my bed net today.  I figured if the net was up against the bed that would be enough, but I have moved it so its touching the floor all around.  Somehow I didn't seem to get bit all that much though, not sure how that happened.  The weather is not too bad, its not insanely hot, but it is insanely humid.  I'm pretty much sweaty all the time.  We have cold water showers, which are pretty refreshing, unless Georgetown is blacked out, where were missing power for about 3 hrs today.  I went running along the seawall with this girl before lunch today.  She ran cross country and track and field, so while I was dying, I think she was a little bored.  The Atlantic here isn't much to look at, really flat, muddy beachfront and the water is really brown, I'm assuming from all the river runoff nearby.  I got sunburned, even though I was only outside for like 45 min.  After the run, my new British mate, Luke, who was waiting for us by the seawall, found some East Indian dudes playing cricket and net fishing.  He played with them a little, then they offered us some sprite and vodka.  Guyanese vodka is not very good.

I think that's about it for now, hopefully I'll have semi-regular posts as the weeks go on.  I'll be in Georgetown training for 3 weeks or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment