Saturday, August 28, 2010

Guyanese Things: A Brief Dispatch on Karaoke

Karaoke seems to be pretty popular in Guyana. You can be hanging out at a seemingly normal bar, minding your own business on the patio, and then within 30 seconds a screen has been erected and a projector has been fired up.

Now I've never actually been to karaoke in the US (shameful, I know), but I think I have a pretty good feel for the point of it. Get really drunk, sing some embarassing stuff that is either enjoyed ironically or for mild amusement. That doesn't seem to be the way things work in Guyana. Cheesy 80's ballads are extremely popular in this country, and large, grown-ass men have no qualms about belting out all sorts of stuff with complete seriousness. It also helps that most of the performers are pretty talented, but even those that don't just really get after it. You won't find any embarassed mumbling into the mic in Guyana. Instead that guy is going 110% on "Flying without wings," or "Rocketman." Once you get over the weirdness of it, its pretty impressive. We've also been told that Guyanese culture in general is not very accepting towards homosexuality, yet no one raises an eye when you bust a lung to some Celine Dion. Everyone is usually pretty supportive as well, no heckling, booing or laughing. There's even some applause for the really talented folks. Altogether a positive experience.

Having entered a karaoke establishment for the first time just this month* (see, cultural growth already!), I've gained a newfound appreciation for the music videos that accompany some of these songs. It's not like the "Total Eclipse of the Heart" wasn't weird enough on its own, but when its been replaced by some woman in lacy stockings wandering around an empty house through a hazy filter, the bar has really been raised. I also love the lame shots of slow-motion pigeons, crashing waves and mountains. Maybe that's what I should look into if this teaching thing doesn't really work out. Karaoke videographer.

*sang some super lame Backstreet Boys song. "I'll Never Break Your Heart" maybe? Would have much preferred some N*Sync or even a BB song I knew better, but you take what you can get I guess.

4 comments:

  1. Really?! Backstreet Boys "I'll Never Break Your Heart"?! I think I have a little less respect for you... I hope there was a lot of drinking involved. ;o)

    ~ Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea really? Did you have no choice in the song? Explain

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not gonna lie...I don't actually know that song. The only thing that really comes to mind is, "oh oh whoa oh oh...the right stuff!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yeah, there was drinking involved. We were up at the dj table, searching for something. I figured I'd know most backstreet boys, but that was the only song the dude had, so we begrudgingly accepted. Not my proudest moment, but wouldn't it have been worse if I crushed it?

    Roger, not New Kids On the Block. I know the Backstreet Boys are a little after the time of the dinosaurs, but try to keep up.

    ReplyDelete