Tuesday, September 21, 2010

A Day in the Life: 9-20-2010

September 20th, 2010

6:00 – Wake up, brush teeth using water bottle (no water pressure on the 3rd floor this morning)
6:30 – Go running. Make it almost a full 30 mins. Usually when I run the sea breeze is in my face on my way home, but today it was on my way out, which is less than ideal but I survived.

7:00 – Take dinner plates down to kitchen. Return library keys to the canteen for the librarian to pick up (the internet connection is in the library, so the librarian lets us use it over the weekend). Fill water bucket outside in event water pressure does not return before breakfast. Kill time camped in front of fan, listening to music and writing in journal waiting for water to be pumped up to the tanks so we will have water pressure. The students are all dressed and ready at this point.

7:50 – Water pressure returns. Wait for Keith to shower, then quickly shower.

8:15 – Hurry to ground floor of dorms to the cafeteria for breakfast. Peanut butter and white bread with some sort of rice/tapioca warm drink. As far as breakfast goes its not my favorite thing here (mmm fried plantains and scrambled eggs), but its not bad.

8:45 – Sign in at the office and pick up chalk for the day. Students line up by classroom in the common area outside the academic building. The national pledge and school prayer are recited. Any announcements are made. The students then orderly enter the building. Attendance is taken in homeroom and any business that needs to be attended to is addressed (books, classroom cleanliness, school sponsored savings programs etc). This should theoretically end at 9, but never does.

9:00 – Periods 1 and 2 (theoretically) start. Everyone has the same teacher for two periods, they call it a double. I have grade a 9 science class. We are doing ecology so we go outside to observe the various habitats surrounding trees in the school compound. For 9am, it's still pretty hot.

10:00 – Break. Today we have a student led assembly before break truly begins. An 11th grade class gives some food for thought, leads a prayer, and the students are encouraged not to litter on the school grounds.

10:30 – Period 3 and 4 begin. Some classes are doubles, some are singles. I have both periods free on Mondays, so I spend my time in the staff room preparing physics lab exercises. I also pick up some textbooks I can let students use for in-class work.

11:45 – Lunch break. I finish planning and head back to the dorm cafeteria. We have greens, chicken and rice.

12:45 – Students again line up in the common area for any other announcements and proceed into the building. More time for homeroom activities, and attendance is taken.

1:00 – Periods 5, 6 and 7 begin. I have another 9th grade science class for periods 5 and 6, so its back outside. Its really hot now. I hide in the shade while pretending to oversee. I have 11th grade physics for period 7. In between 6 and 7 I have to run back to the dorm to pick up some fabric and paint I left in my room, related to school sports which are coming up later this week (that's a topic that deserves its own post if there ever was one). For period 7 we go over some lab procedures we'll be doing next week. I only get to meet with my physics kids once this week because of all the sports disruptions, which will take half a day Wednesday and all day Thursday and Friday.

2:45 – Class ends. Kids line up in the common area again and proceed off campus. Some stick around for lessons or to play ping pong or cricket. I play ping pong with some kids for a while. They are better than me, but I manage to have a few moments that surprise them. I'm actually not too bad, just really rusty and inconsistent.

4:00 – Sign out of school. Head back to dorms to change out of my teacher clothes. Collect laundry from outside.

4:30 – Spend some time in my room lesson planning lab experiments for physics a bit.

5:45 – While dinner is served at 5pm, the cooks leave our food out for us if we come down late. Today I went down just before 6. Chopped cooked okra with a few bits of chicken and rice. I've never really eaten okra that wasn't fried or in a soup before, but its pretty good.

6:30 – Spend about an hour working on grading spreadsheets. The teachers here make elaborate tables by hand, but I think that if I attempted this they would be so full of errors that it would take 4 or 5 attempts to get it right. So instead I'll print them out so I have a hard copy but keep the main records on my computer. I can still approximate the format relatively well, which will hopefully keep me out of trouble come grading time.

7:30 – Shower. Water is running, for now. The dorm kids have study time from 6-8, so after study time the water can go pretty quick. The shower head in my bathroom doesn't work, so I shower in Keith's bathroom. His light doesn't work, but the light in his hallway lets enough in to be manageable. I hand wash today's boxers as well, to cut down on my laundry accumulation.

8:00 – After brushing my teeth, its time to hunker down in the mosquito net for a little entertainment. I have been able to get a wifi signal in my top bunk on some nights, but not tonight. So instead I watch a couple episodes of Avatar: The Last Airbender. It's clearly a Nickelodeon show, but it's pretty good, and I was able to pick up the whole first season for about $5 in Georgetown. I've been rationing out my movies and books so that I don't burn through them all at once. I'll listen to music for a little while and then try to be asleep by 10, as 6am comes pretty early.

No comments:

Post a Comment