Monday, September 13, 2010

5 Sentence Movie Reviews

Because I have a lot of free time and DVDs are, umm, easily acquired here in Guyana, I've been watching a fair share of movies. So while you'll probably find this the least interesting part of my blog, I'm going to throw up some quick reviews.

Princess and the Frog ****
A great throwback. Reminded me of the Little Mermaid a bit, what with the magic voodoo-ey stuff and all, but in a good way. I find it strange that I find bad Southern accents totally acceptable and inoffensive, even as I'm noting that they are bad. I think I should listen to more big band jazz type stuff. Also I should visit New Orleans more often.

Dinner for Schmucks **
Looks great on paper, lacking in execution. The inclusion of Jeff Dunham and his comedy herpes might be the stealth culprit. Steve Carrell is neither unlikeable nor likable enough, mostly just meh. Paul Rudd does Paul Rudd things. The guy filming my version of the movie should invest in better audio capture equipment.

Coming to America ****
If anyone ever says to you, “I don't get why Eddie Murphy was so popular in the 80s*,” tell them to watch Raw, and then Trading Places or Coming to America. He was the clear top dog of his time. Funny to see Samuel L. Jackson basically playing himself, as usual. Haven't seen this movie in its entirety probably ever until now, which was my loss. Whatever happened to Arsenio Hall?
*No one has ever said this.

Greenberg ***
Pretty typical Noah Baumbach fare. Some good dialogue, but I think that sometimes his films lose some direction in their attempt to not beat you over the head with plot/character development. Ben Stiller is clearly more talented than other efforts might indicate, so good for him. Definitely took some of the romance out of “doing nothing,” for me, which is probably good. Who keeps only one Corona in their fridge?

Hot Tub Time Machine ***
Sometimes a movie does exactly what you're expecting, and you love it for that. This is one of those movies. It's weird to see John Cusack in a movie like this, but he's a pretty good lead character. I hope Clark Duke gets more work, I think he's pretty funny. I wonder if the styles of the 00s will look as dated as those of the 80s do less than 30 years later.

2 comments:

  1. How had you never seen Coming to America? I feel like I failed you as a former roommate. I just assumed you were cool enough to have seen that movie. *Sigh*

    -Dan W.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, like I said, I've seen probably all of it in bits and pieces from a young age. But yeah, you let me down.

    ReplyDelete