Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Things My Kids Say 2

Update:
I'm no longer working in Guyana, but I'm trying to keep the blog around, especially as some info for potential WorldTeach Guyana volunteers. I have a couple of facebook albums from my time in Guyana. Here are the links:

Guyana Part 1

Guyana Part 2


Somehow this never got published, so here's some blog B sides:


So this isn't really something that's been said in my class, but I have one class where some boys in the class seem to be really keen on meowing in class.  So I've started calling them cat-boys, which everyone else in the class seems to think is about the funniest thing in the world.  It's also cut down on the meowing.

So I'm marking exams from my science class.  We talked about sampling, doing a small survey to estimate a population size and we talked a little bit about how your estimate is good or bad based on the sample.  So I had them estimate the number of dolphins in this river around here, and then asked if they thought it was a good estimate or not, ideally hoping for, "it depends," or "I think dolphins are not evenly distributed" etc
instead I'm mostly getting:
"Yes because the river is long."
"No because there aren't any dolphins in the river."
"No because I think the river is longer than you told me." (I did my research before, the length is pretty accurate)
But my new favorite is "no, because that is too much dolphins."

No comments:

Post a Comment