Sunday, March 27, 2011

March Newsletter

March Newsletter

Despite trying the opposite of my usual March Madness strategy
(painstaking research vs. watching 0 college basketball games), I
managed to whiff on all 4 of my Final 4 picks. Maybe I should have
gone by uniform color or mascot.  March (I can't believe its already
almost over) has been a busy month school-wise, and also life-wise.
Here's a little peek into some recent holiday activities.

Mashramani
I had planned on going to Georgetown for Mashramani, where I was
assured the festivities would be "more bright" than those in Anna
Regina. Unfortunately, most of coastal Guyana experienced heavy rains
and flooding during the week leading up to Mash. Mash was on
Wednesday, and we actually had to cancel school on Tuesday at ARMS
because water had entered the building. The water came within about
1/2 an inch from our front doorstep, but luckily receded. Because
Georgetown also experienced some flooding and isn't the cleanest city
even the best of times, I decided just to stay in Anna Regina. Keith
did go to town and had a great time. He was even on tv.

As I might have mentioned before, Mash is sort of a combined Republic
Day and Brazilian/Trinidadian Carnivale. In Anna Regina, there were
about 5 different groups representing government organizations,
private businesses, etc., all in various costumes. Through a friend in
the education office, I was able to "mash" with the Region 2
Department of Education. We had spray painted t-shirts and some
headgear. There was a parade that covered probably 3 miles in the
midday heat (I was exhausted and sunburned at the end), terminating at
the Anna Regina car park (the community cricket ground was unusuable
due to the rain). We marched and danced down the road, and everyone
came out of their houses to watch us. It was really cool to see my
students and a few other people from the community that I know. I
think some were pretty surprised to see me. After the parade and a
dance-off, a few fellow teachers and I went back to the education
office to escape from the heat. Events continued at the car park for
the rest of the afternoon and into the night. We returned to the car
park that evening for a few more drinks.

It was a pretty late night for a school night! For some reason the
school decided to have parent-teacher conferences the day after Mash.
This was good for me, because not many parents showed up, so it was a
low-key day. The parents that did show up were in for a surprise, as I
had dyed my hair red for the parade and didn't have a chance to get it
re-colored. One of the teachers has a friend who is a hairdreser, so
she gave us some nice hairstyles for the parade. None of the parents
said anything about my red stripe, but I did get some funny looks. The
headmaster quietly asked me to take care of the situation on Friday.
Not sure if anyone complained, but I guess as a teacher you're
expected to look professional for school. It was a fun week.

Phagwah
Phagwah is the Hindu celebration of colors. It also marks the
beginning of spring and the new year on the Hindu calendar. There are
some stories about how it came to be, but I wasn't able to get a clear
picture. Anyway, Phagwah is a big holiday, especially here on the
Essequibo Coast where there is a high Indo-Guyanese population.
Fortunately, the holiday fell on a weekend this year, so I was able to
invite some of the other WorldTeach teachers to come visit. 5 in all
came to say with Keith and me for the weekend. We had planned on
visiting the lake one day, but the weather didn't cooperate. We did
get to attend a temple that one of the teachers goes to for Phagwah
celebrations. There was a religious ceremony, everyone had a nice
lunch (pumpkin curry and potato curry, yum), and then the fun started.
The "celebration of colors" bit of Phagwah manifests itself with white
and colored powder. I'm not sure if the colored powder serves any
other purpose during the rest of the year, but for Phagwah, everyone
gets some and walks around throwing and rubbing it all over everyone
else. Its a really social experience. Everyone was really excited to
"play Phagwah" with us, I think mostly because they liked the way the
colors looked on our (mostly white) skin. Children also use squirt
guns and dye to escalate the color throwing. I think my shorts are
permanently stained. The powder got everywhere. That night we had a
proper housewarming party, which was really great.

Unfortunately everyone had to go home on Monday, the actual day off
from school, because they had to teach on Tuesday. There was a big
Phagwah event at the community cricket ground. More people, cultural
dances and singing and much much more powder. I'm still finding it in
between my toes and behind my ears. As great as it was to go to the
temple on Sunday, I had just as much fun at the bigger community
event. I've often wished that I could become more a part of the
community, not just the school and the school compound, and seeing all
my students and new friends and being able to just walk up to them and
smear color all over their faces (I didn't emphasize this enough, you
really rub your hands all over everyone's face) was really satisfying.
Afterward, a few of us went with the hairdresser and her sister (who's
actually one of my best students) to the outfall of one of the lakes,
where we did our best to get all the powder off. The past few weeks
have been really great here in Anna Regina, I feel like I'm starting
to fit in and make some real connections, and this Phagwah weekend was
definitely the highlight. I can't believe how fast the year has gone
by. Fortunately, the third term will be a little less demanding
teaching-wise, so I hope I can continue to enjoy my last few months
here in Guyana.

Easter Vacation
We get a 2 week break for Easter. A few other WorldTeah teachers and I
are going into the interior for most of it. We'll be going to Lethem,
a town on the Brazilian border, for the huge rodeo they have there
each year at Easter. We're also going to visit an eco-lodge and
Kaiteur Falls, the world's largest single drop waterfall. Should be a
lot of fun.

I'll be putting up some photos of the events throughout the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment