Saturday, February 12, 2011

Volleyball

Thanks to a generous donation from the Saint Mary's College of Maryland women's volleyball team, Anna Regina Multilateral is now the proud owner of about 12 used volleyballs. The school has a net that's currently set up outside, but I'm told can be moved inside. I've just started playing with some of the kids after school and during their free periods. This gives me a great opportunity to break down some barriers with the kids and seem like more than just some foreign teacher who talks about boring science stuff all day. 



I found out that I'm free when my grade 11 science stream kids have a guidance period. The other WordTeach volunteer, Keith, is supposed to teach them during guidance. Despite the fact that 11 science is filled with some of the best kids in the school, they aren't terribly self-motivated and sometimes I really feel like I'm struggling to get through to them. So Keith quickly ran into trouble with the unstructured guidance class, and just decided the best thing was to just give them a free period every week. So I didn't find out until recently, but this week I took them outside to play volleyball during the free period. Some of them went elsewhere to play cricket, but most of them stuck around and were interested to learn. They said it was the best guidance period they'd ever had. Hopefully it'll pay some dividends in the classroom as well.

Some of the older kids in the school have clearly played volleyball before, which is both good and bad. They generally know the rules, and have some technique. There's almost no attempt to hit the ball more than once on a side though, and no setting of the ball. Bumping is an unstructured mess. I'm hoping that with time I can gradually get them to start working together and playing real volleyball. Its also a fine line to walk because this is rare recreational time for the students, so its important to me that they have a good time and don't feel like they're at practice. Anyway, I have some tall kids and some high flyers that I think will be really excited to learn to spike properly and really start playing. Its a gradual process, but I'm really enjoying it.

In addition to the older kids that I've played with afterschool and a little during school, I've been given a grade 8 gym class. We meet once a week for 30 minutes. One of the gym teachers has a permanent schedule conflict on Mondays, so they had to divvy up his classes and somehow I got this one. There aren't any grades or curriculum, they are just supposed to play team sports. So we're going to play volleyball until they get tired of it or I get tired of trying to teach them. So far I've only had 2 classes this term, but the first class we learned about the rules of the game, how to keep score, proper technique etc. The second class we actually broke out the balls and worked individually on bumping and setting and then on how to serve and rotate. In the future I want to do some simple drills and then start playing games, of course. The kids seem really enthusiastic about it, which is nice.


No comments:

Post a Comment